Thursday, September 22, 2011

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Life is a series of changes, but for our family, last couple weeks have seen quite a few more changes than usual. Some are little and some are big, but regardless, this adds up to great fun for me. I actually welcome--and tend to thrive on--change. I love change in our routine and change in my environment. So here are some of the changes that are energizing me lately.

- Getting into the school routine.
I was concerned about the early mornings, but it's actually been quite good for us to get up, get going, and be ready for the day. It's also nice to have Jeff's help in getting out the door--something we wouldn't have if we had to leave for school later. I will certainly change my tune when the weather is 20 below, but for now, I'm really enjoying it.

- Wednesday night activities have started at church.
Jeff is still helping with the Jr High; Carter is now old enough to have a class; and I am helping with nursery some weeks and attending a parent class when I can.

- Swimming lessons.
Swimming lessons are on Tuesday and Thursday, so having to be done with dinner and out of the house by 6:15 three evenings in a row (with church night sandwiched in between swimming lesson nights) is going to be difficult. Fortunately, swimming lessons only last a month.

- Bunk beds!
Last Friday night, we moved Logan's crib into Gavin's room and assembled bunk beds in Carter and Logan's room. We inherited the bunk beds that Jeff's dad made for him when he was a kid and our boys are so excited to have them. So on Friday night all the boys, even Gavin, slept in new beds and it went really well. Nap times started out rough (It took Logan two hours to fall asleep the first day.) but are going much better now.

- Rice cereal
Gavin is now eating rice cereal and loving it! I wasn't excited about starting him on solids before six months, but we are doing it in an effort to beef him up before surgery and hopefully help him sleep a little better at night.

- Jeff did away with his goatee.
Random thing to include on the list, but my husband looks different. I notice.

-It's time to get out the warm/bigger clothes.
Last week I dug through the huge pile of diaper boxes that comprise my clothing organizational system and pulled out seasonally-appropriate, size-appropriate clothes for everyone. It's fun to get out the warm, snugly clothes and I'm getting excited about fall cooking, too.

- We painted the trim in our kitchen. One step closer to done.

- We've gotten serious about buying a minivan.
By this time next week, chances are I will be a minivan-driving mom. We've been thinking about this change since we found out that Gavin was on the way, but have managed with our mid-size SUV until now. Getting Carter to and from school has finally pushed us over the edge. I'm not enjoying the backup that happens behind me in the drop-off lane when I have to help Carter unbuckle (because his buckle is underneath Gavin's car seat and it takes some tricky maneuvering to get to it) and open the door for him while he crawls under his brother's legs to get out.

I have actually rationalized my way to thinking that minivans are cool now. Just in time. ;) No offense to those of you who drive one; remember, I am joining you.

So, anyone in the market for a 2000 Nissan Altima?

No comments:

Post a Comment