Tuesday, May 3, 2011

An Ultrasound by Any Other Name...

So today's biophysical profile really seemed like a waste of time. We told them Baby is fine and we were right. Of course I'm glad Baby is doing well, but we didn't learn a thing (except for the definition of a BPP). A BPP is simply an ultrasound where they watch for baby to move, check for practice breathing, measure amniotic fluid, and look for one or two other things. This is all stuff we've been observing all along, and we'll check it all again on Friday anyway, so why the extra appointment? Pardon the soapbox, but I think this is one of the things that is wrong with our healthcare system--this unnecessary appointment was probably made just to keep a doctor from getting sued. It's a shame that doctors cannot use common sense to determine whether or not tests are necessary because they're afraid of a lawsuit. I understand a reasonable amount of caution and want to do everything possible to make sure Baby is healthy, but there is such a thing as overkill.

On the home-front, I have a split-personality when it comes to my attitude about Baby's arrival. I've gotten past expecting him to arrive any second and being ultra-prepared. I feel like it's not going to happen today or tomorrow, so I put off things I should be doing, assuming that I can get to it tomorrow or the next day. But I'm very jumpy about braxton hicks. Every time I have a contraction, I stop to evaluate whether it could be classified as "painful" or if it just falls into the "uncomfortable" category. As if I won't notice when they get painful enough to be actual labor. This is the downside of having had an almost-didn't-make-it-to-the-hospital experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment