Saturday, July 2, 2011

Playing God

Since becoming a parent over five years ago, I've enjoyed observing the parallels between a parent's relationship with a child and God's relationship with us. I love that God has made human relationships reflections (verrrrry imperfect reflections, I might add) of his relationship with us. One parallel that I've observed:

Logan is constantly mad at me for spoiling his fun. I stop him from doing all sorts of wonderful things: climbing on the backs of chairs; running out into the street; eating plants in the yard; stuffing whole bananas into his mouth (you wouldn't think it would fit, but Logan has proven that he can get a lot more in there than you'd think); and stuffing small objects up his nose. This is just the tip of the iceberg, people. All of these things and more sound like really great ideas to him, but they obviously don't to me.

The difference? The ability to see into the future. Not that I can literally see into the future, but I know what is likely to happen if Logan succeeds in getting a hold of the saw that he is so desperately reaching for. He, on the other hand, is clueless.

God can actually see into the future. If I know with my limited knowledge what is good for my son, how much more so does God know what is and isn't good for me? When he directs my path, when he tells me "no," when he throws a wrench into my plans, I may have no idea what catastrophe he is saving me from.

I'm so grateful that I have a heavenly father looking out for me. Because even though I'm all grown up, I still need someone who can see farther into the future than I can to direct my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment