Wednesday, June 22, 2011

An Old Story

I was reminded tonight of a story I told on Facebook a couple of years ago. It's a story that brings tears to my eyes, but I love it anyway. It reminds me of how much I need to give up control and trust God. So I thought I'd re-publish it for anyone else who could use a reminder, too.



Carter and I have started listening to "GT and the Halo Express" CDs whenever we're in the car. These are mini audio musicals from back in my day. They tell stories that teach Bible lessons and incorporate songs that are scripture put to music.

So we were listening to a song the other day about "walking through the valley," which, of course, is actually about hardship, but that fact is lost on a three-year-old. Out of the blue, Carter blindsides me with this: "I want to go to the valley, Mom. I want to go to the valley. Will I go to the valley, Mom? Will I? Will I? Will I? Will I? WILL I?"

He was so cheerful and obviously wanted a "yes" answer because whatever "the valley" was, it sounded like fun to him. But I couldn't answer. I have thought too long and too hard about the reality that is contained in the answer "yes".

The fact that my children will suffer in life is something I try not to think about. If I do, I tend to let fear come crashing in. I want to protect them from every imaginable danger. That's my plan, but God's plan is bigger. God is sovereign and He loves my kids even more than I do. So once again, I'm forced to take a deep breath and remind myself that when I cannot protect my kids from hardship, God is in control, and they are much better off in His care than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment