Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Under the Surface

Gavin is such a normal baby. He likes his pacifier. Sometimes. He prefers to be held. Always. He creates laundry like he's got nothing better to do. Oh, wait, maybe he doesn't.

Sometimes I stare at his little chest and marvel at the fact that there's something in there that shouldn't be. (On a side note, Gavin's CT scan is scheduled for August 2. We don't have to do anything else until then.) If it wasn't for the amazing technology we have available to us, we would have no idea something was amiss. We would think he was completely healthy.

I have been reminded by a couple situations lately that all people are like that. We all have things going on under the surface that others cannot see. Sometimes it's physical--a problem is there long before we feel symptoms or get a diagnosis. Other times it is relational or spiritual. The thought occurred to me that I don't pray for my friends and family nearly enough. When everything appears to be going well in someone's life, I don't know how to pray, so I don't. I'd like to be better at that and encourage you to do the same. Don't assume that all is well just because that's how it appears.

But then the question is how? How do you pray for someone when you don't know their specific needs? I don't know the answer to that one, so I'm going to turn it back to you. If you have suggestions for me, I would love to hear them.

1 comment:

  1. My mentor always prays that God would give each person what he or she needs to be the person He desires them to be. That covers a lot of bases. I sometimes find that when I pray that and stop to listen, God reveals some specifics, but usually I trust He will do what is needed whether or not any specific request is prayed.

    ReplyDelete